When Shomari Owens proposed to Ursula Carter, it was truly ordained by God. This lovely couple, who met at a Tennessee State University homecoming, were engaged at Ursula's family’s church. She shares, "Shomari was living in Chicago at the time. He called my Pastor and arranged for my entire family to be at church ON TIME on Sunday. During Sunday service, the Pastor stopped the service and Shomari appeared with a ring and roses. He walked to the front row where I was sitting beside my grandmother. He knelt down on one knee and asked for my hand in marriage in front of God, my grandmother, and the world.”
Their wedding was also a family affair, and Shomari and Ursula made sure to pay homage to their roots through their wedding theme and decor. They teamed up with Janel Elise Events to execute the theme of their wedding: "Southern Sensibility meets Windy City Charm.” Ursula shares, "Every centerpiece design was inspired by our hometowns. The tables were labeled for our favorite places. Our menu consisted of Southern food in the cocktail hour and Chicago style pizza and popcorn for the midnight snack.” The couple had their ceremony outdoors in front of the breathtaking Lake Lanier in Georgia. Guests headed inside for the reception, where the blue and purple décor perfectly complimented their serene surroundings. Enmuse Photography captured all of the mesmerizing beauty of the Owens' heartfelt nuptials.
- Wedding Date: 09/07/2013
- Wedding Location: Lake Lanier Islands Resort Pine Isle Point- Buford, GA
- Wedding Theme: "Southern Sensibility meets Windy City Charm"
- Wedding Flowers: Roses dyed various shades of blue.
- First Dance Song: Chaka Khan's "I'm in the Mood for Love" and Lil Wayne's "How to Love"
- Wedding Cake Flavors: Vanilla with raspberry filling, strawberry, key lime, red velvet
- Wedding Menu Favorite: The cocktail hour Mac and cheese bar with assorted toppings including shrimp, lobster, ham, bacon, turkey, and veggies.
- Bridesmaids Gifts: Vince Camuto sandals, Swaroski earrings and broach, Crystal Bracelet, personalized bottle of proseco.
- Groomsmen Gifts: Micheal Kors Dress shirt, Monogrammed Handkerchief, personalized bottle of courvoisier Both: Reusable double walled plastic cup with wedding logo.
How They Met
We were tailgating at Tennessee State University homecoming. I was waiting for my friend outside the porta pottie and Shomari was talking with a group of guys. He approached me and started a conversation. After we parted, we texted each other for the entire night. The next morning (his birthday) we met for breakfast prior to his departure to Chicago and mines to Memphis.
I was visiting my family in Memphis for the weekend. Shomari was living in Chicago at the time. He called my Pastor and arranged for my entire family to be at church ON TIME on Sunday. Shomari secretly traveled to Memphis the day before. During Sunday service, the Pastor stopped the service and Shomari appeared with a ring and roses. He walked to the front row where I was sitting beside my grandmother. He knelt down on one knee and asked for my hand in marriage in front of God, my grandmother, and the world.
"Southern Sensibility meets Windy City Charm." Every centerpiece design was inspired by our hometowns. The table were labeled for our favorite places. Our menu consisted of Southern food in the cocktail hour and Chicago style pizza and popcorn for the midnight snack
I wore a fitted mermaid gown with a beaded bodice and train. My favorite accessory was my Jenny Packham Pearl and crystal head piece.
Incorporation of Culture
We incorporated a water ceremony into our wedding. We traveled to Chicago (his hometown) to collect water from Lake Michigan and to Memphis (my hometown) to collect water from the Mississippi River. We combined the water into one vase during the ceremony then poured it into Lake Lanier together.
Most Memorable Moment
The First look. It was intimate, loving, and touching. I will never forget his first words when he saw me in my wedding gown.
Must have a first look. It's the most intimate part of the day and helps get rid of the wedding day jitters.
- Ceremony Location/ Reception: Lake Lanier Islands resort Pine Isle Pointe
- Photography: Enmuse Photography
- Videography: Imagine Video Productions
- Wedding Planner: Janel Elise Events
- Wedding Designer: The Savage Garden
- Wedding Cake: Cakes by La'Meeka
- Brides Dress: Demetrios
- Brides Shoes: Valentino
- Brides Jewelry: Tiffany's
- Brides Headpiece: Jenny Packham
- Brides Makeup: Creative Artistry by Angelique Dozier
- Brides Hair: Micheal Anthony
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Von Vonni Transformer Dress
- Bridal Party Shoes: Vince Camuto
- Groom/ Groomsmen suits: JoS A Banks
- Guitarist: Melvin Jordan