Siobhan and her husband Anou met and fell in love in Japan, more than six thousand miles away from their nuptials in Virginia. They wanted to incorporate both where their union began and their unique cultures into their wedding. The week before the wedding they had a Buddhist, Loatian ceremony and in an ode to the bride's diverse background they opened the ceremony with an Irish blessing and had the bridal party change into traditional Ghanaian clothes. The bride worked hard with Geomyra Lewis Wedding and Events to incorporate do it yourself elements into her wedding, which was stressful but fulfilling in the end. Rachel May Photography beautifully captured this gorgeous multicultural union.
Written by Odochi Ibe
- Wedding Date: 05/26/2013
- Wedding Location: Westin Alexandria, Alexandria, Virginia
- Wedding Theme: Whimsical and DIY
- Wedding Style: A-line, all-lace, strapless gown. Favorite accessory: Crystal Belt for Wedding gown
- Wedding Flowers: Peonies, Lamb's ear, Roses (by Anthomanic)
- First Dance Song: "All About Us" by He Is We
- Wedding Cake Flavors: Mint frosting and chocolate cake and Raspberry filling with lemon cake
- Favorite item on Wedding Menu: Sushi and Sashimi
- Bridesmaids Gifts: Gold bracelet
- Groomsmen Gifts: Matching suit ties and pocket squares
Incorporation of Culture
We combined our favorite Japanese foods for the hors d'oeuvres and also had a "Purikura" photo booth like the ones we used together in Japan.
Most Memorable Moment
Entering the ceremony with my father by my side and seeing all my family and friends looking at me with my husband-to-be smiling at the end. I instantly started crying!
Even if things don't go to plan, your guests won't know! Also, DIY projects really helped us reconnect during the stressful planning process.
- Wedding dress: Justin Alexander
- Salon: Ellie's Bridal
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Little Borrowed Dress
- Hair/Makeup: Dawn Newsome Makeup Artist
- Shoes: BC Footwear
- Ceremony location: Westin Alexandria
- Photography: Rachel May Photography
- Videography: Amrita Pradhan
- Wedding Planner: Geomyra Lewis
- Florist: Anthomanic
- Cake: Sweet Creations
- Stationery: DIY & Wedding Paper Divas
- Photo Booth: Red Eye Photo Booth
Geomyra Lewis is a member of The Coterie, Munaluchi's exclusive wedding collective. Click here to view her portfolio. To learn more about The Coterie click here.