We love a Spel-House wedding! Amber and Terris King II met in college in Atlanta. Terris went to Morehouse College and Amber attended Spelman College. They locked eyes at a party and they immediately became entranced with each other. So it was fitting that Terris pull off a nostalgic proposal at the place where their love bloomed! To surprise Amber, Terris told her that they needed to return to Morehouse for an alumni gathering. As they walked around the campus, Amber recalls, "all I would think about was the high noon Georgia sun beating down on me until I noticed the pathway of rose petal leading to the historical Danforth Chapel on Campus. Terris, nervous yet well prepared, dropped down on one knee as our song 'Sentimental Reasons,' played in the background." Amber happily said, "Yes!"
The King's New Year's Eve wedding was a mixture of rustic inspired decor and luxe design elements. Fir tree branches lined the aisle of their ceremony space, creating a cheery Christmas atmosphere. Elements of nature were also seen in their stunning reception decor. A thick runner of clustered grapewood branches accented with white dendrobium orchids, pale blue hydrangea and small frosted pinecones were suspended over the center of the bridal party table. Pinecones made of sugar covered the couple's unique wedding cake, and the white and blue color scheme seen throughout their decor, evoked the essence of the winter season. Guests partied all night in celebration of the King's union and as they counted down to New Year's Day. Mozingo Photography captured all of the love, excitement and whimsical winter magic of the King's celebration the new year and their new life.
- Wedding Date: 12/31/2013
- Wedding Location: Asheville, NC, The Biltmore Estate- Lioncrest
- Wedding Theme: Rustic Luxe Great Gatsby Party
- Wedding Colors: Pale blue, white
- Wedding Flowers: Bridal Bouquet- all white flowers including Cascablanca lilies, garden roses, peonies, miniature calla lilies, roses, hydrangea, lisianthus, freesia and cymbidium orchid blooms.
- First Dance Song: Nat King Cole- "Sentimental Reasons"
- Wedding Cake Flavors: Multi-layered Carott Cake and Chocolate
- Wedding Menu Favorite: Crab Cake
- Bridesmaids Gifts: Bridesmaid Gifts- Canvas Boat Totes with flat shoes for dancing, Earrings, and Vino2Go Cups.
I wore a strapless, mermaid gown. My favorite wedding accessories were my hair accessory and the removable shear straps my seamstress added to the dress.
Incorporation of Culture
We incorporated culture by jumping the broom. My sister and I made our own broom.
Most Memorable Moment
My best memory from my wedding was our "first look" time. It was so nice to be with Terris and calm my nerves. It was exciting, and soothing, and reassuring all at the same time.
1) Make a schedule for your wedding party. 2) Focus on the time you spend with your spouse on your wedding day-it goes by very quickly.
- Wedding Planner- Tara Jordan
- Florist- Blossoms at Biltmore Park
- Print Materials- The Baggie Goose
- Photographer- Mozingo Photography
- Venue- The Biltmore Estate
- Hair Stylist- Tamara Taylor Dugue- The Hair Connoisseur's Salon Columbia, M (410) 992-4247
- Seamstress- Valerie Smith - Sterling, VA Email- firstname.lastname@example.org Phone- (703) 424 -5569
- Makeup- Wendy Ballance- Blush